Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Music With a Message

Music is the art of combining vocal or instrumental sounds or tones in varying melody, harmony or rhythm. Music has been around since the beginning of time. After all, angels were singing before the earth was created!! Music is found in every known culture; past and present. Music is forever. You can find every genre of music known to man. Hip-hop to jazz, rock to classical, western to pop, rap to big band. You name it; you can find it out there. Music speaks to the very depths of my inner soul. It is a huge part of my everyday life. Give me a song with a good beat and I will move with the best of them. And there is nothing more soothing to the ear than a song with good harmony. But the lyrics are where I make the connection. Call it music with a message. Every song has a message behind it if you just stop long enough to really listen. Unfortunately not every song has a good message. You know the saying, garbage in garage out. I choose to listen to music that is uplifting, positive and with a message that I can apply to my life or to situations around me. There are so many wonderful Christian song writers and artists out there that God has used to deliver powerful messages through their music. One of my favorites is Chris Tomlin. He is such an awesome worship leader. One of his newest songs titled “I Will Rise” not only has a beautiful melody but lyrics that will just draw you to the day that God calls you home. I think about that day often. I wonder what it will be like when I see the face of my King. Will I be met at heaven’s door by the loved ones that have gone before me? Will the streets really be paved with gold? Will I hear the angels sing? I will rise when he calls my name. No more sorrow no more pain. I will rise on eagle’s wings. Before my God, fall on my knees and rise. I am so thankful for the picture that is painted in my mind when I hear this song. I am so thankful for the message; that there is a day drawing near when my savior calls my name.....and I will rise. So, next time you are shuffling through your i-pod or listening to your favorite CD take time to really listen to the lyrics. You just might have a message.

1 comment:

  1. The blog you posted spoke the feelings of my own heart completely. I can't imagine my life without music and have often thought of what joyous sounds we will one day hear when the heavenly hosts sing Hallelujah!- Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete